Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Old friends, new friends, and reversed traffic.

     I'm pretty sure that in the 5 days that I've been here, I have made more friends than I have during my entire 4.5 years at USF. And the best part is that they are from all around the world: France, Greece, Sweden, Australia, Korea, Japan! Everyone here is basically in the same boat; having come from a foreign country, not completely understanding the language, adjusting and adapting to the new area. I think this makes it incredibly easy to make friends here! And most people I have met are incredibly nice. There are the occasional 1 or 2 people that make me want to punch them in the throat, though.
     Last night we met up with a USF student who has already been here for a semester. He invited some friends, and we all went out to eat. On the way, we ran into people who joined us. One girl asked if she could walk with us back to the dorms and just ended up coming to eat with us! We went to one of those sushi restaurants where the food is sent around on little plates on a conveyer belt type thing. Also, there is a touch screen computer at each table that you can use to order specific things. And when that food is ready, it comes straight to your table on a shinkansen (bullet train). It was so cute! I'm not as brave as most, so I didn't try anything. Eating has been difficult so far since I'm so picky, but I was expecting that.
     Oddly enough, one of the harder things for me to get used to is driving on the left, walking on the left, doing everything on the left. Doing things on the right side is just so ingrained that it is taking a while to adjust. Crossing the street is difficult, too, because I have to stop and think about which side of the street is going to have cars traveling in which direction.
     Today I finished mostly everything that I needed to do during the orientation period; turned in forms, signed up for classes, squared away financial matters, took the placement test. On Friday I will get my course schedule! I really hope I get the classes I choose. If more than 30 people sign up for a class, it becomes a lottery-type system. Also! Tomorrow I finally get to meet my Speaking Partner, Sayaka! I'm very excited! I've been waiting for the chance to get some hardcore Japanese conversation practice. I'm excited to give her the bracelet I made for her birthday, as well.
     This is short, but I'm very sleepy. I finally have the chance to take a nap today and fix my sleeping schedule! It's been very difficult for me to stay awake past 9:30-10:00 most nights. But then I would wake up at 2am, and go back to sleep at about 5. I'm hoping if I take a nap, I can stay up a bit later tonight!

0 comments: