Thursday, January 28, 2010

WTB boooootz

Want to buy 1 pair of rain boots size 10 (US). Yellow is prefered but not necessary (Morton Salt Girl!)

I learned the hard way that my boots, are in fact NOT water proof. I would think rain boots are avialable here, but I have such huge monster feet that anything here may not be in my size. A few of us haven't even ben able to find slippers yet because they are all too small.

I walked to school early this morning with Shalonda. She's currenty opening and savings account and I'm waiting in the computer lab. We have 2 "manditory" meetings today, and then I finally get to meet Sayaka! She seems to excited! I am, too. I also need to buy a cell phone today. They had run out the past two days, so hopefully they will have some today! In Japan, most people do not talk on their cellphones. They only get about 60 minutes of talking time per month. But text messages and phone e-mail are unlimited. I've seen people texting while riding their bikes! That's pretty hardcore if you ask me. Also many phones have TV on them, so you'll see people watching that while on the trains.

The other night our 3rd (temporary) roommate moved in. She was shocked at how nice and accomidating Shalonda and I were. We cleared out space in our closets and on our desks for her. And basically told her what's ours is hers. She's only staying with us until she moves in with her Homestay family this weekend, but until that time it's her room, too! So she should be entitled to everything we have. Apparently, past roommates (roomsmate lolol mmmm references) of hers were not as nice.

I can't wait until classes start. I feel like so far I have just been playing it safe and sticking with what is familar (i.e hanging out with the USF students, or English speakers). I think as soon as classes start, and I meet more people, I'll be speaking more Japanese and hanging out with more people. I really want to push myself to step out of my comfort zone (within reason, of course!) The spoken Japanese classes are all 5 day a week for 50 minutes each. In all Japanese classes, you're only allowed to speak Japanese. I'm nervous about this, yet excited at the same time. Because I know from first hand experience that if you want to speak a language you need to speak it, and speak it often. I also feel as if I'm tragically behind most other people. I have been studying for 1.5 years and so have many other people, but at USF the classes moved soooooo slow. Other people that have been studying for the same amount of time probably know twice as much as I do. For example, I can read and write about 150 kanji (recognize maybe 175), where as the other students I mentioned can read and write 500-700. I find that so crazy. But these classes are intense and move at a fast pace. I'm hoping to see improvment rather quickly!

Tomorrow there is a trip for all the international students to Kyoto! We are going to meet in front of the CIE (Center for International Education) building at 2pm. I believe this trip's main purpose is to introduce us to the transportation systems (buses, trains, etc.) I've already had some practice, so I'm like hella pro. I am slightly worried, though. Because there are 460 international students and they are trying to get them ALL to go on this trip. How in the world do you get 460 students on a bus and trains together? Hopefully everyone won't show up. I don't think I could handle it lolol

Last night I actually stayed up past 9pm! I believe I was up until 11:30. And I slept through the entire night! Let's see if I can keep it up. I don't really like going to bed early.

It's time for one of those oh-so-"manditory" meetings! More later.
<3

0 comments: