Thursday, February 4, 2010

Killing some time

I greatly need to do laundry. I have about 1 clean shirt left. I have another long break this afternoon (1-4) during which I plan to go to the grocery store to buy some fooood, laundry detergent, etc. I'm actually excited to cook things. It will mostly just be rice and meat, I'm sure, but I want to try to make the occasional extravagant meal (baked macaroni and cheese, tacos, etc.)

I've also noticed that compared to most of the international students here, I act like quite an old lady. I don't like going out on weekday nights, or when it's dark, or when it's raining, or when I don't feel like it. I like getting 10 hours of sleep a night on school days. I like taking naps when I have free time. I don't have a great desire to go out and sing karaoke and drink until 6am every day. Unlike many people here, my main goal is to improve my Japanese. Therefore, I don't want to go down a level in my Japanese classes because they may require a lot of studying. I'm not here for an easy A. I want to speak Japanese and I have no problem working for the results I want. But as you all are probably thinking, "all work and no play..." I also have no intention of just letting this amazing opportunity pass me by. I will go out and explore and experience as many Japanese things as possible. I will hang out with friends and have a good time. But I'll do it on my own terms (mainly on weekends, and breaks). And of course, I will thouroughly document it all. (I swear, I'm working on the pictures!)

Update!

So after class, I went to the grocery store. I spent ¥3100 on, well, not much. I got orange juice, apple juice, spaghetti, half a loaf of Italian-ish bread (which was my lunch), slices of cheese to eat with the bread (noooooot gonna eat that more than once), face wash, laundry detergent, a bag of rice, and some delicious Bonchi rice snack things. The bread was really pretty good, though a little tough to chew. The cheese was just not good. They seem to suck at dairy products here. AND OH MAN! I saw that they had Special-K! I love Special-K. But, I couldn't figure out the milk /: I couldn't tell which (if any) were fat free. So I didn't get it. I'll have to go back another time and try to figure it out.

Right now I need to read some stupid garbage for my Globalization class. And then go to said class. At first I was unhappy about the loonnnng breaks I had during the middle of the day, but I don't mind it so much anymore. It gives me a chance to study, do laundry, go shopping, nap, etc. I really wish I had time for a nap now, but nooo. And tonight after class I need to do laundry and study for my Spoken Japanese review test tomorrow. I've learned most of the grammar from the 5 chapters I missed in the past 3 days, but now I need to cram some vocabulary in there. I do hope I pass because I really like the class and don't want to have to go down a level. Mmmmmmmmmm I think that's it! OKAY!?

Bai~~

2 comments:

killemallbutsix said...

Hello Melissa. We have not met, but I am a friend of your dads, and he sent me this link after talking today. Right now I am in school at UCF, but I applied to the JET program last year, and hoped to be doing what you are instead. I am still planning on going somewhere to teach English when I am done in August, but it is looking like it will be Korea or Thailand. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and I would love to talk to you about your experience after you have been there awhile. Good luck.

Vi said...

OMG! I can leave a comment here! FINALLY! Sorry for all the caps, I've been dying to show that you're blog is being read other than ranting about it on Facebook. :D

I told you asians are not very good at dairy. We must have something against pasteurization and homogenizing them. I hope you figure it out soon, we didn't when we went to Viet Nam.

Everyone loved the Baked Macaroni and Cheese I made while you were flying over the Pacific Ocean. I had to call Zommy about the details :)

And that doesn't make you an old boring lady. You're just more low key or mature in that aspect. There's nothing wrong with that. You know I'm mostly the same way. I can't wait for all the photos. Maybe we can make a scrapbook! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures exploring Japan!!

Love you lots!
- Viii